Avoca Beach Theatre begun in 1948 in front gardens of brothers Mervyn and Norman Hunter to raise funds to build the Avoca Beach rock pool.
Projecting through a hole made in Norman’s garage wall onto a homemade screen, people brought cushions to soften the wooden benches.
The candybar was under Mervyn’s home and when it rained, everyone tumbled onto the verandah for shelter to continue watching the film!
The brothers decided that a multi-purpose permanent structure was needed, and the Theatre was built. It included the 500 seat cinema, a Commonwealth Bank and a real estate office. The Theatre operated on Saturdays and during the school holidays, never being open on a Sunday as it was used to hold both Catholic and Presbyterian Church services.
The Theatre adapted as times required, with the inclusion of a Souvenir and Gift Shop from the 60’s, a Café from the early ‘80’s and later that decade Alfresco Screenings on the lawn, and a Wine Bar, all of which continue to this day.
Avoca Beach Picture Theatre is still owned and run by the same family who arrived in Avoca in 1932.
Under the care of Norman and Beth Hunter and their family, the Theatre continues to be a much loved cultural and community hub, showing the best in good movies, amazing special events, film festivals and an incredible line-up of the very best of Australian musicians!